Monday, August 2, 2010

My upright


6.12.10 - Happy August! My birthday is a week away.

This week my blog is focused on all things pertaining to my piano. The above picture is of my cute little brown upright piano. I got it when I was about seven when my family moved from South Minneapolis to the suburbs. If you didn't know, I am a classically trained pianist with about 10 years of professional lessons under my belt and have been playing for about 17 years total..wow, that is a lot of time! I didn't practice very much during college because I didn't really have much access to a piano, but now that I'm back home, I've started to play again and although I have my bad days, it is still nice to know that my fingers can fly across octaves when I play the songs that I know very well.


Sometimes when I play, I don't even have to think. My fingers just know where they need to go and I never count anymore (I've always hated counting to keep time), I just remember how the song is supposed to sound and sometimes I change the time signature to suit my mood. Sound lazy? Yeah it is, but I'm not a professional competing pianist anymore, I just play for fun.

My baby grand piano. 
My dad told me when I was little if I kept up with my lessons and competitions he would buy me a baby grand. I don't really remember the details, but let's just say I don't really want one now and it's a good thing because there isn't even room in my house for one. Maybe one day if I have $40,000 or $50,000 around and the space for it, I'll get a black Steinway baby grand, but until then, my upright is just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment